With school I don't have much time to experiment with my electronic equipment, but I had a little time a couple weeks ago to see what the effects of pulsed dc electricity had when it was traveling through copper wire wound around a toroidal ferrite core. I found that the properties of the square wave (from the pulse generator) changes at two points - where the pulse starts and ends. It seems as if there is a decreasing resonance being generated from the ferrite core. I'm wondering if this is what is known as hysteresis. I only had time to try out one frequency, so next time I fire up my equipment I'll try different frequencies. I also tried subjecting the ferrite core to a sawtooth wave, but it didn't seem to have any resonating effect. Once I complete my step up transformer I'd like to see what kind of waveform I get on the oscilloscope. The step up transformer will consist of a torodial ferrite core wound with 200 turns of 24 AWG magnet wire as the primary and 600 turns of 36 AWG magnet wire for the secondary.
Thursday, March 15, 2007
First Dive into Electronics
With school I don't have much time to experiment with my electronic equipment, but I had a little time a couple weeks ago to see what the effects of pulsed dc electricity had when it was traveling through copper wire wound around a toroidal ferrite core. I found that the properties of the square wave (from the pulse generator) changes at two points - where the pulse starts and ends. It seems as if there is a decreasing resonance being generated from the ferrite core. I'm wondering if this is what is known as hysteresis. I only had time to try out one frequency, so next time I fire up my equipment I'll try different frequencies. I also tried subjecting the ferrite core to a sawtooth wave, but it didn't seem to have any resonating effect. Once I complete my step up transformer I'd like to see what kind of waveform I get on the oscilloscope. The step up transformer will consist of a torodial ferrite core wound with 200 turns of 24 AWG magnet wire as the primary and 600 turns of 36 AWG magnet wire for the secondary.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment